Hog maws are quintessential soul food that everyone loves. Do you want to know how to cook hog maws in a slow cooker? A step-by-step guide will help you for cooking hog maws in a slow cooker. We need some ingredients, such as ground pork sausages 2 pounds, 5 potatoes and also the potatoes must be peeled, cubed, and rinsed.
We also need 20 baby carrots and sliced these into coins then we need 2 ribs of celery, diced, and add 1 medium onion, chopped. Then add 1/4 head cabbage sliced or diced however you like to have them and last we need salt and pepper.
There are many ways we can cook hog maws. We can also cook hog maws in a slow cooker. After gathering all the ingredients, we need a large bowl in which we need to place the sausages, and then we have to add vegetables one at a time. After adding all the vegetables, we need to mush them together to distribute. After mixing together we have 2 options.
Watch this video for more idea: Credit @ Big Johns Cooking
Process of cooking hog maws in a slow cooker
We can either cook in a crock pot or oven. If you cook it in a crock pot or pressure cooker. You need to cook on low for 7 to 8 hours. If you are afraid it is getting too dry then you can also add some water on top of it. And if you are cooking in the oven or in a pan.
- You need to place it in a casserole dish or roasting pan and cook for 1 to 2 hours at 375 degrees F.
- If you want you can add salt.
- You can also add some pepper over the top while it cooks.
- If your sausages aren’t salty, then you can add salt.
- Do not use salt too much if your sausages are already salty.
What are Hog Maws?
We all know what natural sausage casings are: they are the small intestines, and maws are a little higher up to the stomach, to be precise. You can also say hog maw is the stomach of a pig. It is like an exterior muscular wall of the stomach organ that contains no fat. It is a kind of large sausage casings stuffed with awesomeness.
What are the ingredients of Hog Maws?
- Pig Stomach: This is the most important ingredient and you must clean it properly.
- Potatoes: We need 5 potatoes, and also the potatoes must be peeled, cubed, and rinsed.
- Seasonings: For the best seasoning we all know onion, celery, and parsley add substantial flavour to our hog maws. But you can also add extra spices, whether curry or Creole seasoning, to ramp up the flavour factor.
- Sausages: Pork, Italian, and smoked sausage are the best for this cooking. They can also make a soul-satisfying meat and potatoes dish.
How To Cook Hog Maws In Crock Pot?
We need a pot of hot water on medium heat, we need to boil the hog maws for 25-50 minutes. After the meat cools down remove the unwanted fat and other material then slice the hog maws. After this make them into thin pieces and then wash them clearly in a mixture of vinegar and some hot salt water. And make sure all bacteria are removed from other matter.
- Gather all the ingredients we need.
- Then collect a large bowl, in which we need to place the sausages and then we have to add vegetables one at a time.
- After adding all the vegetables we need to mush them together to distribute.
- Then place it in a crock pot or pressure cooker.
- You need to cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- If you are afraid it’s getting too dry then you can also add some water on top of it.
This is the easiest process you can make hog maws.
What are the main parts of Slow Cooker?
We all know the electric bean pot, and the slow cooker was developed from it. That pot was invented in the 1960s to steep dry beans. It can be used to cook many delicious recipes. A slow cooker can be divided into three main parts:
- An outer casing
- An inner container
- A lid
The outer casing of a slow cooker is metal and it contains low-wattage heating coils. This component is responsible for cooking the food. And also the heating coils of a slow cooker are completely encapsulated by the outer casing.
How do you clean Hog maws?
We need to wash the hog maws with salty water properly then we need a pot of hot water on medium heat. We need to boil the hog maws for 25-50 minutes. After the meat cools down remove the unwanted fat and other material then slice the hog maws and make them into thin pieces. And then wash them clearly in a mixture of vinegar and some hot salt water to make sure all bacteria are removed from other matter.
Tips on cooking Hog Maws.
Here we will share some tips that will help you to cook hog maws.
- You can clean your hog maws for 5-10 minutes after that, let them cool then store them in a freezer bag and freeze them for one or two months.
- The most common way to prepare hog maws as your favourite food is to add them to chitlins.
- Cut them up into bite-sized pieces and add them to your favourite chitlin recipe.
Is a slow cooker perfect for cooking hog maw?
The slow cooker is cheap to buy and they are economical to use. Also, they’re great for making the most of budget ingredients we can make many dishes with a slow cooker. We can also make stews, curries and even desserts. It is very easy to use and also a slow cooker is perfect for cooking hog maw.
People have so much curiosity about how to cook hog maws in a slow cooker. So here are some of the FAQs we will answer.
How long does it take to cook hog maws?
Hog maws take 1 hour and 15 minutes to cook.
How long does pork take in the slow cooker?
Pork takes almost 8 hours to cook in a slow cooker.
How do you clean hog maws?
Hog maws should be cleaned with salty water and then boiled for 20 to 25 minutes. Then wash them clearly in a mixture of vinegar and some hot salt water.
Do you need to add water to the slow cooker for pork?
You do not need to add water to the slow cooker for pork but if you are afraid it’s getting too dry. Then you can also add some water on top of it.
Hog maws are quintessential soul food. Everyone loves it this recipe of how to cook hog maws is a fraction of our website. We have a list of very good recipes. If you visit our website. You can find many delicious recipes like this one. Please keep in your mind this recipe contains 732 kcal only that is quite healthy.